Thursday, June 2, 2011

Meredith Gentry series by Laurell K. Hamilton

I know we've got quite a few Sookie and Fever fans here, and these books have plenty of fey action to go around. So far I've read the first two books, A Kiss of Shadows and A Caress of Twilight, and I'm just starting the third, Seduced by Moonlight. You would think that means I'm genuinely addicted... but actually, I still don't know quite how to feel about the series. I do like it and I want to see where it's going, but it's very different from the other supernatural fiction I've read.

The books are very sexy - Meredith (Merry) is very frank and open with her sexuality, and she's always getting hers. However, since Merry is often in some kind of danger, she does some untoward things in exchange for protection. I don't want to spoil anything by going into detail, but you'll see what I mean if you choose to read. So far, creatures we've encountered are Seelie and Unseelie fey, goblins, demi-fey, and ghosts - no vampires and werewolves.

Also, while I'm sure love will eventually turn up, so far there is no Bill vs. Eric or Barrons vs. Vlaine sort of deal - it's kind of a free for all right now. So if you need a focused romance novel, these aren't quite it, yet. There are people to root for, but there's no way to tell which way things are headed. Maybe it's because there are several more books in the series!

Merry is an important person, and her adventure is an interesting one (I really want to know how it turns out), so I'm sticking with it. They're quick reads and have lots of sexytimes, but so far they haven't quite gripped me as much as Fever did. Then again, comparing anything to Fever might be a mistake!

1 comment: